Ever wonder how others perceive you? Others may see me as a wife, mother, step-mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, and friend. What would I consider myself? Well, definitely all of the above, but I would add that I am a thinker, a writer, and a woman who has a lot to say. I just want my voice to be heard. This is my spot to state what I think and believe. These are My Thoughts from my Window on the River.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

March 29th Vietnam Veteran's Day




If you are a person of maturity, you recognize this day as the Vietnam Veteran’s Day. On March 29, 1973, the last of our troops left Vietnam after 11 years of combat. On this day, the last of our POW’s walked out of the Hanoi Hilton where many of them had been “guests’ for many years. Many of those men injured from the torture and ill-treatment at the hands of the North Vietnamese. What thoughts were going through their heads? I think many were wondering if they would make it to the plane. I feel sure many were Thanking God for their release.

Three million Americans served in the conflict, thousands returning home with physical, and emotion scars. More than 58,000 others never returned home, laying down their lives in service to our Nation. The numbers are mind boggling. The amount of time we spent and the human price we paid. Not only our country but the countries of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and Thailand sent troops and had many who served and died in this war.

When our troops returned home, many weren’t warmly received, so national Vietnam Veterans Day was established to pay honor to the sacrifice those servicemen and women made. 2.59 million Americans served, 58,282 sacrificed the ultimate sacrifice with their lives. The United States list  1350 Americans were prisoners of war or missing in action, more than 2646 Americans remain unaccounted for from the conflict. The numbers are staggering, and my heart goes out to those who never knew what happen to their loved one.

President Nixon chose the date for the first Vietnam Veterans Day in 1974. One year later this date was determined to be a day of honor for the Veterans of this conflict. Yet we have not fully embraced the veterans of this war. It has taken many years after the fact that we now recognize and honor the surviving and departed Vietnam veterans.

I hope you will take at least one minute out of the 1440 minutes of this day and say a prayer or a thank you for the men and women who were there!  

Thank You Veteran's of Vietnam!





1 comment: